Marriage and divorce are two monumental experiences in adult life. Both events can be extremely stressful, overwhelming, and full of anxiety. While marriage brings anticipation and excitement, divorce brings the opposite. Even if you’ve never been to counseling before, divorce counseling is recommended for anyone who is navigating their new normal during and after a divorce.
What is Divorce Counseling?
Any time you end a long-lasting relationship, it is painful. It doesn’t matter whether your divorce was amicable or messy. It doesn’t matter who your divorce was caused by, it is a painful experience for the entire family and is highly stressful. Our trained divorce counselors at Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY can be there for you through each step of your divorce and provide invaluable advice and support. Divorce counseling can be done on any type of individual, couple, or family basis to support everyone through the process.
9 Common Reasons for Divorce
In the United States, you can get divorced for any reason. A little less than half of all marriages end in divorce. At Innovative Family Therapy, we see many marriages dissolve within the first 10 years, and may be due to the following common reasons for divorce:
- Commitment: A lack of commitment is one of the first signs that a divorce may be imminent. This usually happens early in a marriage when couples marry too young or aren’t ready for the responsibility of marriage.
- Infidelity: Unfortunately, this broken trust can be difficult to repair, and an affair often leads to a divorce.
- Communication Issues: Inevitably, we see that most broken relationships have a hard time communicating and are quick to bicker or argue.
- Abuse: No one should be subject to either emotional or physical abuse in a relationship.
- Addiction: Sometimes the disease of addiction can completely suffocate a relationship and create grounds for divorce, especially if the addiction is harming the person or family.
- Financial Problems: Money is a huge topic for most married couples and sometimes the inability to manage money together can inevitably lead to a separation.
- Contempt and lack of respect: For most relationships, this is an early sign and one of the best predictors of divorce when the individuals do not respect one another.
- Defensiveness and Stonewalling: If you or your spouse have a hard time taking responsibility for problems, or completely avoids discussing them, it makes it very hard to solve an argument or difference in the relationship.
Benefits of Counseling During Divorce
Even if you’ve never been to a therapist before, a divorce is a major transition that requires additional help. Divorce counseling can support you through the intense stress and change that divorce brings. At Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY we help our clients through all the major areas of divorce including:
- Helps you cope with the stress of divorce and rebuild your life
- Helps you and your children cope with the changing family
- Helps you and your spouse be sure about the divorce
- Helps you learn how to communicate in healthy ways throughout the process and after; especially if children are involved.
- Guidance on healthy co-parenting relationships during and after divorce.
FAQs About Divorce Therapy and Counseling