A Better Approach To Life
It’s vital that you find someone you trust. Our counselors go beyond the call of duty to form a bond between them and their client.
At Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY, we have multiple therapists that are licensed in different areas of counseling. That way, you and your family can receive help in one building versus traveling to different offices.
Our therapists look at everything from a family perspective. We assess the situation as it pertains to the dynamic of the entire family instead of just a single person. We even allow multiple therapists to work with a single family.
For some, sitting in a therapist’s office might make them uncomfortable. That’s why we offer teletherapy so our clients can have the option of in-person or video sessions – whatever makes them feel at ease.
Sometimes when you call a therapist’s office, you get put on a waitlist to see someone. We employ enough therapists to make sure our clients never get put on a waitlist.
Marriage and divorce are two monumental experiences in adult life. Both events can be extremely stressful, overwhelming, and full of anxiety. While marriage brings anticipation and excitement, divorce brings the opposite. Even if you’ve never been to counseling before, divorce counseling is recommended for anyone who is navigating their new normal during and after a divorce.
What is Divorce Counseling?
Any time you end a long-lasting relationship, it is painful. It doesn’t matter whether your divorce was amicable or messy. It doesn’t matter who your divorce was caused by, it is a painful experience for the entire family and is highly stressful. Our trained divorce counselors at Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY can be there for you through each step of your divorce and provide invaluable advice and support. Divorce counseling can be done on any type of individual, couple, or family basis to support everyone through the process.
9 Common Reasons for Divorce
In the United States, you can get divorced for any reason. A little less than half of all marriages end in divorce. At Innovative Family Therapy, we see many marriages dissolve within the first 10 years, and may be due to the following common reasons for divorce:
- Commitment: A lack of commitment is one of the first signs that a divorce may be imminent. This usually happens early in a marriage when couples marry too young or aren’t ready for the responsibility of marriage.
- Infidelity: Unfortunately, this broken trust can be difficult to repair, and an affair often leads to a divorce.
- Communication Issues: Inevitably, we see that most broken relationships have a hard time communicating and are quick to bicker or argue.
- Abuse: No one should be subject to either emotional or physical abuse in a relationship.
- Addiction: Sometimes the disease of addiction can completely suffocate a relationship and create grounds for divorce, especially if the addiction is harming the person or family.
- Financial Problems: Money is a huge topic for most married couples and sometimes the inability to manage money together can inevitably lead to a separation.
- Contempt and lack of respect: For most relationships, this is an early sign and one of the best predictors of divorce when the individuals do not respect one another.
- Defensiveness and Stonewalling: If you or your spouse have a hard time taking responsibility for problems, or completely avoids discussing them, it makes it very hard to solve an argument or difference in the relationship.
Benefits of Counseling During Divorce
Even if you’ve never been to a therapist before, a divorce is a major transition that requires additional help. Divorce counseling can support you through the intense stress and change that divorce brings. At Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY we help our clients through all the major areas of divorce including:
- Helps you cope with the stress of divorce and rebuild your life
- Helps you and your children cope with the changing family
- Helps you and your spouse be sure about the divorce
- Helps you learn how to communicate in healthy ways throughout the process and after; especially if children are involved.
- Guidance on healthy co-parenting relationships during and after divorce.
FAQs About Divorce Therapy and Counseling
Absolutely. Divorce can bring a host of emotions you may not be prepared to deal with. You may feel guilt, fear, anxiety, anger, depression, stress, and grief. Our therapists help you to keep a rational perspective and provide coping skills to work through the difficulties of the divorce.
A divorce counselor can work with you as an individual to cope with your divorce. They may also help both you and your partner together to learn how to better communicate and civilly behave, especially if there are children involved. A divorce counselor can be a resource for the entire family as you navigate this change together.
Even in an abusive relationship, a couples therapist will likely not suggest divorce. They will, however, help the victim find separation and seek help. Therapists will do everything they can to keep their clients safe.
No. None of our therapists will appear in court or provide any recommendations, letters, or evaluations for any reason for court cases.
Why Choose Innovative Family Therapy?
Your divorce affects not only you, but your entire family. As family therapists, we look at everything from a family perspective and provide multiple therapists in one building, so you and your family can receive the help you need in one place. Our therapists come from diverse backgrounds, education, and training so you can find one that relates best to you. Because divorce often happens without notice, our clients are never put on a waiting list. We are ready and willing to help you navigate the path ahead.
We Are Here To Help
Whether you are considering divorce, in the middle of a divorce, or recently finalized your divorce, our counselors are here to help. Your divorce is going to have a massive impact on who you feel you are as an individual and what your future holds. The assistance of divorce counseling from Innovative Family Therapy in Louisville, KY can help you sort through the aftermath of your separation. We are here to help you analyze yourself, your relationships and your new normal in the world. Our goal is to help you through this painful phase of your life and help you stay on track for a healthy future.